Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are You Still Down With FCC?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is in charge of regulating television, telecommunications and maintaining telecommunication equipment. They also interpreted and enforce telecommunication legislation made by congress. In addition to that they also are in charge of giving out and renewing broadcasting licenses.

According to www.FCC.gov there are seven bureaus that make up the FCC. They include the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau, Enforcement Bureau, International Bureau, Media Bureau, Wireless Telecommunications, Public Safety & Homeland Security Bureau, and Wireline Competition Bureau.

I was surprised that I actually learned something while I was presenting. When I brought up the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau and that they were the ones who were advertising the digital television converter box Dr. Campbell asked me if I knew when the switch was going to occur, but all I knew was that it was going to happen sometime in February. Well it turns out that it was supposed to happen on the 12th of February, the day I was presenting, but due to lack of funding the date was pushed back to June.

I am also glad that during the discussion that I was able to answer all the questions that were pressed upon me. It defiantly reflected how well I researched the FCC when Dr. Campbell asked me how the administration positions of the FCC were filled, and I was able to answer in full confidence that they were appointed by the President and confirmed by congress also that only four administrators could be from one party.

I enjoyed learning that the FCC was not just a bunch of power hungry, uptight, whistle blowers, who get enraged by anything that makes them, feel in the slightest, uncomfortable. They try to operate for the good of the public by giving out important information in times of disaster, and make sure that broadcasting is kept orderly by giving licenses with assigned frequencies so that stations don’t overlap each other. 

No comments: