Monday, February 18, 2008

H.R. 1955

On Thursday I will make a presentation to the class on a recently passed terrorism bill. The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Act, also known as H.R. 1955, was passed in 2007 to protect the United States from terrorism that is from within the States. Some social groups see the bill as one that violates the First Amendment. The Act uses broad terms that allow it to encompass nearly all social groups that could be considered to be extreme. I will show the class some of the history leading up to the bill and how the bill not only affects us but where we will see change in the communication realm.

1 comment:

aocampo said...

I was really surprised that no one in the class had heard of H.R. 1955. I assumed that at least one person would have known a little something about the act or would have been familair with it. The only people that had heard of it were Dr. Campbell and myself. I pretty much rounded out the last few minutes of class which didn't leave much time for discussion. I would have been interested to find out what the classes thoughts on the act were and whether it was in violation of the First Amendment.